Friday, December 1, 2017

Books that made me / Penelope Lively / My debt to roasted grasshopper with ladybird sauce


Penelope Lively … the Beatrix Potter titles showed me the arresting use of language. Photograph: Martin Godwin for the Guardian


Books

that 

made me


Penelope Lively: my debt to roasted grasshopper with ladybird sauce

The Booker prizewinner on why Beatrix Potter influenced her writing and how she was defeated by one of the greatest novels of the 20th century

PENELOPE LIVERLY
FRIDAY 1 DECEMBER 2017

The book that changed my life
Andrew Lang’s Tales of Troy and Greece. I read it again and again when I was nine, 10, 11 – this is where I learned about story, and drama.

The book I wish I’d written

The Inheritors by William Golding: brilliantly imagined and infinitely sad.

The book that had the greatest influence on my writing

Many. But I have to cite the Beatrix Potter titles, which showed me the arresting use of language: “the dignity and repose of the tea party”; “roasted grasshopper with ladybird sauce”; “the dinner was of eight courses, not much of anything, but truly elegant”.

The last book that made me cry

William Trevor’s The Story of Lucy Gault. An exquisitely paced tragedy.

The most underrated book

Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban captures an apocalyptic post-Holocaust world in fragmented language. It was highly regarded when it was published in 1980, but is rather forgotten now.

The book I couldn’t finish

Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita. One of the greatest novels of the 20th century, it is said, but I was defeated.


THE BOOKS THAT MADE ME
2017
13 October 2017
Eimear McBride / ‘I can never finish Dickens – it’s sacrilege’
20 October 2017
Shami Chakrabarti / ‘Harry Potter offers a great metaphor for the war on terror’

No comments:

Post a Comment