Friday, September 29, 2017

Books that made me / Philip Pullman / ‘The book I wish I’d written? My next one’

Philip Pullman … ‘I only cry when I stub my toe.’ Photograph: Michael Leckie


Books

that 

made me


Philip Pullman: ‘The book I wish I’d written? My next one’

The Northern Lights author loves John le Carré and William Blake, Anthony Powell not so much

PHILIP PULLMAN
FRIDADY 29 SEPTEMBER 2017

The book I am currently reading
John le Carré, A Legacy of Spies.
The book that changed my life/the world
William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience.
The book I wish I’d written
My next one.
The book that had the greatest influence on my writing
Jonathan Swift, Directions to Servants.
The book I think is most under/overrated
Underrated: David Lindsay, A Voyage to Arcturus; overrated: Anthony Powell, A Dance to the Music of Time.
The last book that made me cry/laugh
Laugh: Bernard Shaw, Our Theatres in the Nineties; cry: I only cry when I stub my toe.
The book I couldn’t finish
Far too many to list, but including Robert Penn Warren, All the King’s Men.
The book I’m most ashamed not to have read
James Joyce, Ulysses.
The book I most often give as a gift
Harry Frankfurt, On Bullshit.
The book I’d most like to be remembered for
Clockwork, or All Wound Up.


THE BOOKS THAT MADE ME
2017
13 October 2017
Eimear McBride / ‘I can never finish Dickens – it’s sacrilege’
20 October 2017
Shami Chakrabarti / ‘Harry Potter offers a great metaphor for the war on terror’


No comments:

Post a Comment