Sunday, May 11, 2014

Julian Opie / Figures


Julian Opie
FIGURES


Julian Opie (London, 1958) emerged as an influential figure in the British art scene of the 1980s after producing a series of painted metal sculptures that humorously combined loosely painted imagery with steel shapes. Portraits and animated walking figures, rendered with minimal detail in black line drawing, are hallmarks of the artist’s style. His themes have been described as "engagement with art history, use of new technology, obsession with the human body" and "work with one idea across different media". When asked to describe his approach, Opie said "I often feel that trying to make something realistic is the one criteria I can feel fairly sure of. Another one I sometimes use is, would I like to have it in my room? And I occasionally use the idea, if God allowed you to show Him one [portrait] to judge you by, would this really be it?"

Wikipedia


















































File:Gateshead Millennium Bridge - geograph.org.uk - 1244794.jpg

Dublin, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment