Sunday, November 14, 2021

Meghan Markle Is More Than Just A Pretty Face

 

Megn Markle



Meghan Markle Is More Than Just A Pretty Face

Photographed by Danielle Kosann


We’re proud to say that the news of Prince Harry’s engagement to Meghan Markle was no big surprise to us Potatoheads. Not only is Markle beautiful, of course, but she is also one of the most memorable interviewees on The New Potato. When we photographed her, we honestly fell a little bit in love with her ourselves. Markle is the kind of woman that is as endearing as she is stunning, akin to a modern day Lauren Bacall, and we could not be happier for her this week. We want everyone to have a chance to get to know her as well as we have, which is why we’re throwing it back to our interview with soon-to-be-royal. Peruse below for Markle’s favorite restaurants, beauty tips, workout routines and more…

From start to finish, what would be your ideal food day?

A Clean Cleanse vanilla shake blended with frozen Ontario blueberries for breakfast, a Niçoise salad and a glass of rosé with some Grey Owl goat cheese and baguette on the side for lunch, and a leisurely dinner of seafood and pasta with a Negroni to cap off the night.

What’s your drink?

God, do I love wine – a beautiful full red or a crisp white. But if it’s cocktails, I love a spicy tequila cocktail, Negroni, or good Scotch (neat).

What’s different about playing Rachel Zane from other parts you’ve played?

She is so intelligent, as well as being vulnerable, layered and strong-willed. I love finding the layers in Rachel, versus just playing a typical, one-note love interest type that is often written for young female characters.

In playing the part of the Rachel, where do you draw inspiration from? 

I am inspired by the material the writers give us, as well as from the young ambitious women that I have as friends, that are looking for love, are in their twenties, and figuring it out.

What’s the most shocking discovery you’ve made in all your time of playing that part?

I am pretty good at memorizing lines. I used to think I was terrible at it, but when you film a show every day, you flex that muscle memory all the time, and I am shocked by how natural it has become for me. Thank God!

What are some of your favorite Toronto food spots when shooting Suits?

Hands down, my favorite restaurant in Toronto is The Harbord Room[Editor’s note: The Harbord Room is now closed.] That kitchen puts out consistently amazing food. Everything from their burger (which is my “last meal” kind of meal), to their beautiful seafood and seasonal dishes, it’s just a perfect dinner in the most craveable setting. It’s where I send everyone who comes to town – from editors to friends and family. As a matter of fact, Joe Zee and I are having dinner there soon. My buddy and fellow New Potato foodie!

What are some typical pre and post shoot routines?

I always try to squeeze in a hot yoga class or get a good run in the morning before work (unless I have a 5am call time, in which case, I relish the extra sleep). And post-work, you can generally find me in a bath tub with a glass of wine.

What’s always in your bag on set?

Chanel Eyeliner in Cassis and Fresh Sugar Advanced Lip Treatment.

What’s a typical lunch like on the set of Suits?

We have catering that offers tons of meat as well as vegan options to make everyone happy. I usually grab some kale salad and steamed vegetables with a side of hummus and lots of hot sauce (either Habanero or Sriracha).

What’s always in your Suits trailer fridge?

A green juice, kombucha, almonds and raisins. I’m a nibbler.

Your go-to on set snack…

A crudités and hummus plate, sliced apples with almond butter sprinkled with sea salt, or an apple Larabar.

Your go-to recipe for eating at home…

I make lots of soups. I’ll sautée a mirepoix, add some vegetables and stock and either have a chunky vegetable soup or purée it in the Vitamix. Changing the vegetables and seasoning makes this transition from a spicy Latin soup to something with a more Asian flare so I don’t get bored. It’s so easy and satisfying.

What’s the ingredient you consider overrated? Which do you think makes everything better?

Mayonnaise. It’s just not something I would ever want unless it was incorporated in a way that I didn’t notice it.

Maldon Sea Salt brightens every dish. I love it and use it endlessly.

What catches your eye on every menu?

Squid Ink Pasta or Pappardelle with Cinghiale; I’ve never met a Wild Boar Ragu I didn’t like.

What are your favorite cities for food?

In New YorkABC Kitchen, the Verdure counter in EatalyThe SmileSushi Yasuda (for Omakase), and Taim for falafel.

In Toronto: Bar IsabelUnion, and Fresh (where I get my green juices and vegan fare).

In LALaurel Hardware and Gjelina.

If you could host a dinner party, with any five people living or dead, who would be there?

Anthony Bourdain, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mario Batali, Jamie Oliver, and my best friend Lindsay. Those are solid chefs and foodies that I would be in awe of eating with, but that wouldn’t feel intimidating to cook for because they seem fun. And I would just want Linds there to giggle about all of it with me.


THE NEW POTATO



No comments:

Post a Comment