Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mavis Gallant / Cinema

Mavis Gallant

CINEMA
by Mavis Gallant



Chose cinema over potatoes. I found myself watching the women’s clothes, drinking in their texture, appreciating every bite the actors put into their mouths. When one of the characters (because of some imbecility of the plot) wore old clothes and pretended to be poor, I was furious and felt cheated, having chosen this over a meal. Now I really understand why the Italian poor detest De Sica and neorealist films, and why shopgirls like heiresses and read every line in gossip columns. I mean, I understand it, and not just intellectually.


Mavis Gallant, ‘The Hunger Diaries: An artist’s apprenticeship,’ in The New Yorker, July 9 & 16, 2012 p 50



DRAGON

RIMBAUD

DE OTROS MUNDOS

CUENTOS





No comments:

Post a Comment