Monday, September 30, 2013

Alvaro Mutis / Saudade


Andrew Wyeth_Wind from the Sea

SAUDADE
by Álvaro Mutis
Translated from the Spanish by C. D. Hernández

I have a recurring dream that has not been here in some time. It is something that gives me both joy and sadness at the same time. I dream that my father returns. He sits in the studio and begins to speak of my books, while I wonder where he has been all these years. But I realize that he is here, and it makes no sense to ask for an explanation. Instead, I tell him that I continue to read Chateaubriand, Sait-Beuve, and Michelet, whom he admired. After a while, I start believing that my father is going to stay home, but when I awaken I see that he has only come to visit.

Fernando Quiroz
The kingdom that was meant for me
Conversations with Alvaro Mutis



No comments:

Post a Comment