Friday, December 4, 2020

Why ‘The Little Stranger’ by Sarah Waters is a Horror Novel You Need to Read


Why ‘The Little Stranger’ is a Horror Novel You Need to Read

One of my favorite horror novels of the past five years is The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters. Here’s why.

Top 10 ghost stories

Brian Rowe

June 18, 2019

The Story

‘Hundreds is lovely. But it’s a sort of lovely monster! It needs to be fed all the time, with money and hard work. And when one feels them at one’s shoulder, looking on, it can begin to seem like a frightful burden’

I don’t know if the damp and the darkness were to blame, or whether, in keeping away for a while, I had forgotten how really shabby and neglected the house had become: but when I stepped into the hall the cheerlessness of it struck me at once. Some of the bulbs in the wall-lights had blown, and the staircase climbed into shadows, just as it had on the evening of the party; the effect, now, was a strangely lowering one.

If Hundreds Hall is haunted, however, its ghost doesn’t show itself to me. For I’ll turn, and am disappointed — realizing that what I am looking at is only a cracked window-pane, and that the face gazing distortedly from it, baffled and longing, is my own.

There were no severed arteries to deal with, that was a blessing, but the tearing of the flesh made the job a trickier one that I should liked — my main concern being how to minimize the scarring that would follow, for I knew it would be extensive even with the tidiest of repairs.

My first sight of Mrs. Ayres’ swollen, darkened face made me shudder; but worse was to come, for when I opened up her nightgown in order to examine her body, I found a score of little cuts and bruises, apparently all over her torso and limbs.

‘This house is falling down around your ears! Your brother brought the estate to the brink of ruin and blamed it all on an infection. Now you’re finishing off the job — blaming spooks and poltergeists! I can’t listen to any more of it! It’s making me sick!’

Who ever could have predicted this decline? It seemed to me, suddenly, that his mother must be right: no amount of strain or burden could explain it. There had to be something else at the root of it, some clue or sign I could not read.

‘My darling, I’m so sorry. This is hard, I know. But it won’t help anyone, your mother least of all, if we avoid the obvious. Things have clearly become too difficult for her. There’s nothing odd or supernatural about that. I think she’s been trying to retreat to an era, that’s all, when her life was easier’

Image for post

Why I Love This Novel

What horrified me were the signs of decay. Sections of the lovely weathered edgings seemed to have fallen completely away, so that the house’s uncertain Georgian outline was even more tentative than before. Ivy had spread, then patchily died, and hung like tangled rat’s-tail hair.

The rest of the wall was not much better. There were several fine pictures and mirrors, but also darker squares and oblongs where pictures had obviously hung. One panel of watered silk was ripped, and someone had patched and darned it like a sock.

‘They paid a small fortune for my education, and all I learned was that my accent was wrong, my clothes were wrong, my table manners — all of it, wrong. I learned, in fact, to be ashamed of them’

I reminded myself that she was exhausted, depressed, still in shock from her mother’s death and from all the dark events that had let to it.

We weren’t used to ruins and broken roads around Lidcote, and the sight of the hollowed-out houses with their jagged, gaping windows, rising eerily through what seemed to be a perpetual city fog, never ceased to depress us.

My mind would go softly across the darkened miles between us, to slip like a poacher through the Hundreds gate and along the overgrown drive, to nudge open the swollen front door, to inch across the chequered marble; and then to go creeping, creeping toward her, up the still and silent stairs.

‘The war feels far away now, doesn’t it? How did that happen, in only two years? We had an army unit billeted with us for part of it, you know’

A doctor sees lots of tears; some more affecting than others. I really did have a heap of chores at home, and was not at all amused to have been dragged away from them for nothing. But she looked so young and pathetic, I let her have the cry out.

I’ve known one or two [doctors] who’ve seen so much weakness they’ve developed a sort of contempt for mankind. I’ve known doctors who’ve taken to drink. Others of us, though, it humbles. We see what a punishing business it is, simply being alive.

I began to resent them all. It seemed to me that they had come here, knowing nothing about the house, and nothing about Caroline and what was best for her, yet were making judgments and assumptions as if that were their right.

Rod stood perfectly still, in that still room, and watched as the shaving-glass shuddered again, then rocked, then began to inch its way across the washing-stand towards him. It was just, he said, as if the glass were walking — or rather, as if it were in that moment discovering its own ability to walk. It moved with a jerky, halting gait, the unglazed underside of its porcelain base making a frightful, grating sound on the polished marble surface.

The blood was coming not from Gillian’s arm, but from her face. Her cheek and lip had turned into drooping lobes of flesh — had been practically severed.

What they saw made them both cry out. It was Mrs. Ayres, slumped and ungainly, her head lolling, her pose queer, as if she had sunk to her knees in a sort of half-faint just inside the threshold. Her face was hidden by her loose greying hair, but as they pushed the door further, her head moved slackly to the side. They could see what she had done. She had hanged herself, with the cord of her dressing-gown, from an old brass hook on the back of the door.

Next day, re-passing the saloon, she again heard the noise. A rapid drumming or pattering it was this time, so unmistakable that she went right into the room and drew back a shutter.

‘Doctor, I’m afraid. If he should grow ill again, what on earth will happen? We’ve already lost so much here. My children try to keep the worst of things from me, but I’m not a fool’

Betty drew back her head from Mrs. Bazeley’s shoulder and said, ‘There’s a bad thing in this house, that’s what! There’s a bad thing, and he makes wicked things happen!’

She looked like a woman who’d just been kissed and who, to be honest, wanted to be kissed again. But when I moved towards her she took a second step back, and I saw then that her desire had another quality mixed up with it — innocence, or something stronger; reluctance, even a touch of fear.

Something made me realize that the journey I was making was the journey I had made back in January, after the hospital dance. I looked at my watch: it was two a.m., on what should have been my wedding-night. I was meant to have been lying in a train now, with Caroline in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment