Saturday, February 5, 2022

Terence Wilde / Infortunately

















Introduction title.png








UNFORTUNATELY

The title of this show is quite ambiguous and that is exactly what the artist Terence Wilde wanted. For Terence, it references a multitude of thoughts and feelings: unfortunately, due to the high quality and number of entries this year we are unable to include your work in the show; unfortunately, you need to go back to shielding as a vulnerable person due to covid-19; if I’d have had a fortunate childhood, maybe I wouldn’t be doing art and I certainly wouldn’t be the person I have become today. 

Join me on a journey as we explore the two worlds of artist and adult survivor Terence Wilde, who uses his art practice as his own form of therapy. For him, it is a distraction, a method of calming and a daily occurrence that keeps him grounded. His creativity runs parallel to his mental health. Terence describes his black and white work as his private, authentic work and his colour work is what tends to sell more. Do pay attention to the titles, as they have as much resonance for him as the artworks themselves.  

Terence describes his colourful work as blissful, happy and ethereal – where he retreats to places to protect himself or where he has been in a positive mindset. But his black and white work is very honest – nothing is hidden and his demons often help to form the image, detail and text. The events in Terence’s life have molded him, so it is important for him to put authentic narratives and experiences into his work – be they negative or positive. The creative act helps Terence to formulate his thoughts, with him stating, “If me sharing my story about child abuse helps younger children, then I owe it to myself and them to share it and share how I’m overcoming it.”

Terence recently said, “Through my art I lose myself and in the process, discover who I am. Art is a healing tool that helps me to survive as a person.”



JENNIFER LAUREN GALLERY













No comments:

Post a Comment