Saturday, August 2, 2008

Life and style / Emily Watson / Everything is in there


Emily Watson

LIFE AND STYLE

Q&A

Emily Watson
Actress
"If I had to get rid of everything else, I'd keep the complete works of Shakespeare. Everything is in there."


Interview by Rosanna Greenstreet
Saturday 2 August 2008 00.01 BST

Emily Watson, 41, was born in London. Her father was an architect, her mother a teacher. After studying English at Bristol University, she went to drama school. In 1996, she starred in Lars von Trier's Breaking The Waves, which gained her an Oscar nomination - she was also nominated for her portrayal of cellist Jacqueline du Pré in the 1998 movie Hilary And Jackie. Her other films include Angela's Ashes, Gosford Park, The Proposition and The Water Horse, now out on DVD. She is married to actor/writer Jack Waters, lives in London and is expecting her second child.




When were you happiest?
About half an hour ago, watching through the window as my dad and two-year-old daughter walked to the paper shop together.
What is your greatest fear?
Wild animals. I only discovered this when in close proximity to lions in the dark. I was on safari in Kruger national park in South Africa. Despite the assurances of our guide that they didn't know we were there, I felt I was on the verge of a very nasty end.
What is your earliest memory?
The garden at my grandmother's cottage in Dorset.
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Selfishness. In my job, it's very easy to get used to being the centre of attention.
What was your most embarrassing moment?
Forgetting to wear deodorant to an awards show. I was boiling and incredibly nervous in a strapless dress with my arms clamped to my sides, until some kind soul decided to introduce me to the cast of Friends, who all wanted to shake my hand.

What is your most treasured possession?
My bed. When you travel as much as I do, the sense of sleeping in one's own bed is like nothing else.
Where would you like to live?
If New Zealand wasn't so far away, I'd live there like a shot.
Aside from a property, what's the most expensive thing you've bought?
Pound for pound, a truffle. I think it cost about £100, but we kept the label which says something like £2,000 a kilo.
What would your super power be?
To be able to skip long journeys and just beam the whole family up to the next gig.
What makes you depressed?
Rudeness.
What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Right now, I'm pregnant and growing visibly, which I am rather enjoying. Usually I have a constant battle with weight.
Who would play you in the film of your life?
Samantha Morton, of course.
What is your favourite smell?
Fresh mango, I think.

What is your favourite book?

If I had to get rid of everything else, I'd keep the complete works of Shakespeare. Everything is in there.

What is the worst thing anyone's said to you?
A director once told me I had anorexia of the imagination.
Is it better to give or to receive?
Is this a personality test? I hope I fail.
What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Cake.
What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My husband, of course.
What was the best kiss of your life?
Absolutely none of your business.
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I say 'brilliant' a lot and I probably don't mean it.
What is the worst job you've done?
Photocopying.
What has been your biggest disappointment?
The England football team - they never fail to disappoint.
If you could edit your past, what would you change?
Less worrying.
When did you last cry, and why?
I burned the carrots yesterday.

How do you relax?

Reading

What is the closest you've come to death?
As a child, I was saved by a neighbour from falling builders' rubble.
What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
More time.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I'm pretty proud of some of my work in film.
What keeps you awake at night?
My child.
How would you like to be remembered?
Fondly.


No comments:

Post a Comment