Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Jackie Collins / 'My mafia godfather made the best pasta sauce'

 

Jackie Collins at her home in Beverly Hills
Photo by Patrick Fraser

LIFE ON A PLATE
Interview

Jackie Collins: 'My mafia godfather made the best pasta sauce'


The novelist recalls childhood squabbles with her sister Joan, hanging out in Soho jazz clubs and running away to LA. She also has a cocktail named after her
John Hind
Saturday 12 April 2014

My earliest food memory, in London during the war, is of the shortage of canned peaches. When mum occasionally got hold of a can, we'd be allocated one slice each and I'd fight with my sister [Joan] over a second – "You had two already", "No, I had one", "You cannot have two just because you're older than me!" I say this because, nowadays, in my house in California, I'll sometimes have a full can of Del Monte peaches for lunch, with a whole bunch of cream.

My father was a theatrical agent and on Friday nights held a card party at home with Lew Grade and other guys, so mum would make a trolley of drinks and nibbles for them. When I was little I would sit silently on the bottom shelf of the trolley, before it was wheeled in, and then, hidden by the trolley-cloth, I'd listen to these chauvinist guys being derogatory about women. It really coloured my impressions of men.



Jackie Collins at her home in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles


I remember our kitchen on Great Portland Street, which was very dark. It's where the cat had kittens in the pantry and then proceeded to eat them. I sat there in horror.

My mother was an English cook – roast potatoes and roast chicken and roast lamb and potatoes, peas, gravy and red sauce. Nothing fancy, but terrific Sunday lunches. I remember once, during a row at Sunday lunch, my father threw his plate across the dining room. I can remember thinking "What a waste", as he always got the best cuts of meat.

I played truant frequently, forging letters from my mother. I was the ignored middle child who could get away with anything. So I spent years watching movies in Leicester Square, eating chocolate rolls from the Lyons' Corner House and burgers from Wimpy. Then at 14 or 15, I started sneaking out of the window most nights to go to Soho jazz clubs. Nobody knew because I looked 19. My drink was Pimm's with all this fruit in.

The first time I came to LA – after I got thrown out of school – I was just 16 and I lived with Joan for a while. I just remember how delicious I found American food. To go from a Wimpy burger in London to my first American drive-thru was astonishing.

The characters in my Santangelo books were inspired when I was a teenager in California and was introduced to gangsters by a girlfriend's boyfriend. A man became my godfather – platonic, but we ate linguine together a lot. He made the best pasta sauce and helped me out when I vandalised a boyfriend's car.

I'd not cooked before my first marriage and a year later had my first child and I suddenly got into the idea that I had to organise food – breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. I became a best-selling author around the time of my second and third child. So I had four hours' sleep most nights for years. I'd be writing in the car while going to pick the kids up from school and then we'd have a tea of scones and cream and jam or my incredible tuna sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

Whenever I meet someone for lunch at Mr Chow's I get there 15 minutes early and sit there observing people, making notes on my iPhone. Spago – of course – is fantastic. Spago's Wolfgang Puck created the cocktail "The Jackie Collins" for me. A drink I'm loving is the Asian pear martini at RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen. Another drink I really love, which you will think terribly childish, is Belvedere vodka and 7-Up with tonnes of ice.

I have a lot of gay friends and they love taking me for drinks at The Abbey, a gay hangout where all the barmen are handsome but straight, which is really interesting.

I was last in England to get an OBE from the Queen and to do a Graham Norton Show. The two events were three weeks apart so I stayed at the Dorchester hotel but shopped at Tesco and M&S, and stuffed my fridge with ham and smoked salmon sandwiches.

The Lucky Santangelo Cookbook is out now (Simon & Schuster, £16.99)

THE GUARDIAN




No comments:

Post a Comment