Friday, October 13, 2017

Books that made me / Eimear McBride / ‘I can never finish Dickens – it’s sacrilege’


 ‘I wouldn’t have minded being Dostoevsky for a while’ … Eimear McBride.

Books

that 

made me


Eimear McBride: ‘I can never finish Dickens – it’s sacrilege’


The author on the novel that made her cry and how Anne of Green Gables taught her an early lesson in the power of the imagination

Eimear McBride
Friday 13 October 2017


The book that had the greatest influence on my writing
Oh, Ulysses. As a writer, once you have read that, you really have to up your game.
The book I think is most underrated
?
The book I am currently reading
Chris Kraus’s After Kathy Acker – I recommend it. When the energy of the writing matches the energy of the subject, it’s magic.
The book that changed my life
Anne of Green Gables. I read it when I was eight and it was the first time I realised what a weapon the imagination could be. I’m not sure that was the point ...
The book I wish I’d written
I can’t imagine having written anyone else’s books but I wouldn’t have minded being Dostoevsky for a while, just to see how it was done.I don’t know about “most” underrated, as it won the Booker prize, but Keri Hulme’s The Bone People is a beautiful novel, looking at difficult subjects in an uncompromisingly complex way, and it’s really owed more of a following than it has.
The last book that made me cry
Garth Greenwell’s What Belongs to You. It’s a long time since I read a book that made me feel less alone in the world.
The book I couldn’t finish
Any Dickens – sacrilege.
The book I’m most ashamed not to have read
Any Faulkner – the kind of sacrilege I’m bothered by.
The book I most often give as a gift
On balance, I think it’s probably been Susan Faludi’s Backlash. It really helps you get to grips with the media’s war on women and feminism.
The book I’d most like to be remembered for
My multi award-winning, worldwide bestselling, as yet untitled, seventh novel. It’s going to be brilliant.


THE BOOKS THAT MADE ME
2017
13 October 2017
Eimear McBride / ‘I can never finish Dickens – it’s sacrilege’
20 October 2017
Shami Chakrabarti / ‘Harry Potter offers a great metaphor for the war on terror’





No comments:

Post a Comment