Thursday, December 5, 2019

Open Lines / Giacomo Casanova / History of My Life


Giacomo Casanova

OPEN LINES
HISTORY OF MY LIFE
by Giacomo Casanova


I begin by declaring to my reader that, by everything good or bad that I have done throughout my life, I am sure that I have earned merit or incurred guilt, and that hence I must consider myself a free agent. ... Despite an excellent moral foundation, the inevitable fruit of the divine principles which were rooted in my heart, I was all my life the victim of my senses; I have delighted in going astray and I have constantly lived in error, with no other consolation than that of knowing I have erred. ... My follies are the follies of youth. You will see that I laugh at them, and if you are kind you will laugh at them with me


Giacomo Casanova 

History of My Life. New York 
Everyman's Library, New York, 2006, pages 15 -16.

Casanova, Histoire de ma vie, Gérard Lahouati and Marie-Françoise Luna, ed., Gallimard, Paris (2013) 







No comments:

Post a Comment