Sunday, March 16, 2003

Wilbur Smith / I lost my heart in... The Seychelles

 

Wilbur Smith


I lost my heart in... The SeychellesAuthor Wilbur Smith


Interview by Tim Wapshott
Sat 15 Mar 2003 19.50 GMT

Why? It is so utterly beautiful. It's four degrees south of the Equator, so the water is always warm. The water also moderates the heat generally - so you don't get the terrible temperatures and humidity that you find on mainland Africa.

The best thing: I've got a home there - well, it's half an island! I have about 55 acres, with 2km of beaches with coconut palms, jetties and boats. I love the coral, the diving, the swimming, the snorkelling, and the fishing.

My ideal day: It would involve swimming, fishing and lots of 'loafing'. I'd get up, fall in the sea and frolic around in the water for about an hour, then head back to the house for breakfast and a read. I'd go for a long walk along the beaches before taking a siesta. Then I'd have sundowners on the veranda, listening to music.


My advice: If you go the Seychelles, don't stay only on one island. Go off and see the rest of them - each has its own unique character.

Getting there: Cheapflights (cheapflights.com) has flights between Gatwick and the Seychelles from £504 return.

Where was your best holiday? A hunting safari in central Africa. I enjoy shooting buffalo. They are big and they are ugly - and you know they would like to hunt you just as eagerly as you hunt them.

What is the best hotel you have ever stayed in? The Oriental, Bangkok, where they have the Wilbur Smith Suite on the 23rd floor. The concierge always greets me by saying, 'Welcome home, Mr Smith.'

Where do you want to go next? Tajikistan in central Asia, where my wife's family live. Or the Australian Outback.

What do you never travel without? My specs, my passport and a good book to read.





FICCIONES

DRAGON





No comments:

Post a Comment