Sunday, November 14, 2021

 

Jodie Comer

Jodie Comer Wants To Work With Olivia Coleman

Photographed by Danielle Kosann

Killing Eve’s Jodie Comer on hot yoga, pre-sliced bagels and Lena Dunham…

From start to finish, what would be your ideal food day?

Cliché, I know, but breakfast would be avocado on toast with poached eggs and lots of chili flakes. Then, I would save myself all day to have my mum’s Roast Dinner in the early evening and two Yorkshire puddings always. It’s worth the wait! I would follow that up with a whole bar of Mast sea salt dark chocolate.

How do you practice beauty from the inside out?

I think everything has to be in moderation. The more I try to deprive myself of things, the more miserable I get. So what’s the point? I think exercise is an instant way to boost your mood and confidence. The hardest part is usually getting myself to go, but once I’m there I’m so glad I went. I think beauty comes from being happy, and I’m happiest when I surround myself with positive people.

What are your morning and nightly beauty routines? 

In the morning I wash my face with PAI rose and camellia skin cleanser, followed by SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic and IS Clinical active serum. I then smother my face in Murad vitamin C daily moisturizer with the Vitamin C eye cream to match. Even though these both have an SPF of 30, I then put a total sunblock (Institute Esthederm NO SUN) on my face, neck and chest. When it comes to my nightly routine, I use Elemis Pro collagen balm to cleanse, especially if I’ve had a long day of filming or have been on a shoot. This balm is so thick and creamy the makeup literally slips off. Then, I apply a gentle helping of Rosehip Oil.

What is always in your handbag? What beauty products can’t you live without? 

I always carry my Aesop vanilla intensive body balm, which I mainly use as a hand moisturizer. I also can’t leave the house without my MAC clear eyebrow gel. My eyebrows definitely have a mind of their own and need taming. Homeoplasmine is great for chapped lips; I first learned of it from Chris, my makeup artist on The White Princess. It’s also great for cuts, blemishes and grazes, should you ever get yourself in a pickle.

What are your favorite cities for food? What restaurants do you go to in each?

Maray in my hometown of Liverpool is where my friends and I always go. It serves seasonal food along with amazing gin cocktails. If you go, get the half cauliflower! It was my first time in America this year, so I’m still a newby when it comes to knowing which places to go. My friend took me to Sugarfish, and that was the best sushi I have ever had. Bristol is where we filmed The White Princess and there is a restaurant called Wallfish Bistro which is located in Clifton. I go there for oysters, lobster and chips. Then, I’d go and have a pint in the pub down the road overlooking the suspension bridge. It is beautifully lit up at night.

What are some of your go-to workouts?

Hot yoga is always good for clearing my mind. I personally enjoy weight training. I go with my mum and we have so much fun. It helps having a partner to work out with; you can cheer each other on!

What advice would you give a young person wanting to be an actor?

I would say pursue it and give it 110%. Don’t distract yourself with what other people are doing and also don’t compare your career to anybody else’s. Trust your instinct and be prepared for a lot of rejection – but don’t be disheartened by it!

Where do you love to travel? What won’t you travel without?

Spain is a place I go to a lot with my family. I have so many lovely memories there. I won’t travel without my headphones, as I’ve made that mistake before.

How do you start every morning? What’s your go-to breakfast?

I snooze my alarm for at least thirty minutes, then go straight to the fridge. My go-to is scrambled eggs with kale and mushrooms. I really enjoy an orange, apple, ginger and carrot juice for the morning, but the juicer is such a chore to clean, so I really have to decide whether I’m ready to commit to the mess.

What’s the difference between American and British television?

Well, to start, America has a much bigger audience. I personally find British drama to have a little more grit, and I feel it dares to go to places that others don’t. Having said that, at the minute I’m obsessed with Love on Netflix and The Last Man On Earth which are both American, hilarious and so easy to watch. You need that sometimes!

What is the best advice you have ever received? What is the worst? 

My dad always says, “Trust your gut, babe,” and I think he’s right! The worst advice I’ve ever been given was “Try a five-day juice cleanse, they’re great!”

You didn’t like X until you tried it with Y…. 

I didn’t like green tea, until I tried it with honey.

Who is someone you haven’t worked with, that you’d still like to work with and why?

I would really love to work with Olivia Coleman, as she is so compelling to watch. I am currently watching Broadchurch, and she says so much with just a look. Also, Lena Dunham, because I think she is a maverick!

In the same vein as the new black in fashion, what is the new potato right now?

On my recent trip to America, I discovered pre-sliced bagels. I realize this is probably a really old potato, but I had no idea you could buy them pre-sliced. I am always cutting one side too thin and burning it.

JODIER COMER



No comments:

Post a Comment