Saturday, February 20, 2010

My hero / Max Stafford-Clark by Sebastian Barry

 

Max Stafford-Clark, working with the Out of Joint threatre company.
Photograph: John Haynes


My hero 

Max Stafford-Clark by Sebastian Barry


Sebastian Barry
Saturday 20 February 2010

I

've known Max Stafford-Clark since 1992, when I met him at the Royal Court to discuss a possible commission. He shepherded the play I eventually wrote for him, found an astounding actor to be in it, resisted the doubts of various other agencies, and more or less changed my life and the life of my wife and then small children. This might be considered reason enough to have Max as my hero, and yet that is not all the reason.

We did two more plays together, and since 2004 we have laboured to put together a fourth. In 2006 we were to have a rehearsed reading of this play, but overwhelming news interrupted the plan. Max had endured three strokes, front, middle and back of the brain, all at the one time. It would have definitively felled Achilles. And certainly it was a long Herculean year before he worked again.

In rehearsal these last weeks, I realised very quickly that something indeed had happened to Max. Something unexpected, yes, but also miraculous. He had somehow augmented his nature, and had become an even greater man. He had met his difficulty with a sort of deep-bedded dancingness. For instance, he had sat with the play so intently, played his mind over it so completely, that it was like watching some heroic painter at work as he rehearsed it, willing to squeeze himself into a tight space to give life to a democratic vision. His actors came up to the gate of his inspiration like horses for apples. He was always, it seemed, well ahead of us, but didn't mind waiting till we caught up.

If I were a Queen's adviser, and not a renegade and disreputable Irishman, I would suggest him for a knighthood, an Order of Merit, a Companion of Honour. For in being his companion these last weeks we have all been greatly honoured

THE GUARDIAN





2009
001 My hero / Oscar Wilde by Michael Holroyd
002 My hero / Harley Granville-Barker by Richard Eyre
003 My hero / Edward Goldsmith by Zac Goldsmith
004 My hero / Fridtjof Nansen by Sara Wheeler
005 My hero / Mother Mercedes Lawler IBVM by Antonia Fraser
006 My hero / Ted Hughes by Michael Morpurgo
007 My hero / Ernest Shepard by Richard Holmes
008 My hero / JG Ballard by Will Self
009 My hero / Alan Ross by William Boyd
010 My hero / Ben the labrador by John Banville
011 My hero / Vicent van Gogh by Margaret Drabble
012 My hero / Franz Marek by Eric Hobsbawm

2010

013 My hero / Bob Moog by Don Paterson
014 My Hero / Sebastian Walker by Julie Myerson
015 My Hero / My Father John Gross by Philip Gross
016 My heroes in Postman's Park by Christopher Reid
017 My hero / Jack Yeats by Colm Tóibín
018 My hero / Francisco Goya by Diana Athill
019 My hero / Max Stafford-Clark by Sebastian Barry
020 My hero / Arthur Holmes by Richard Fortey


2011
079 My hero / Gene Wolfe by Neil Gaiman
087 My hero / Alberto Moravia by John Burnside
096 My hero / Isaac Babel by AD Miller 
097 Lucian Freud by Esi Edugyan
120 My hero / Graham Greene by Richard Holloway
134 My hero / Homer by Madeline Miller
146 My hero / Roald Dahl by Michael Rosen 
156 My hero / Barack Obama by Lorrie Moore

2013
167 My hero / Oliver Sacks by Hilary Mantel
169 My hero / Jean Rhys by Linda Grant
174 My hero / Alice Munro by Nell Freudenberger
176 My hero / Mae West by Kathy Lette
181 My hero / Lydia Davis by Ali Smith
184 My hero / Louise Bourgeois by Tracey Emin
185 My hero / Albert Camus by David Constantine
190 My hero / Iris Murdoch by Charlotte Mendelson
194 My hero / René Descartes by James Kelman
199 My hero / Albert Camus by Geoff Dyer




No comments:

Post a Comment