Thursday, March 21, 2024

Hans Ruedi Giger on the 1979-1980 Dune Attempt

Hans Ruedi Giger

HR Giger on the 1979-1980 Dune Attempt

"Dino de Laurentis was now in possession of the rights to Dune. He was interested in Ridley Scott as the director and me for the production designer. After my prior cooperation on the film in 1975 with Jodorowsky, I had started working together with Conny de Fries on the prototype of a bed I had designed, as part of a furniture project I always hoped to realize. The bed was never completed but my involvement with the renewed Dune project provided the opportunity to construct my designs as the Harkonnen furniture pieces and to also have them featured in the film. It was agreed that my contract would allow the copyright of my designs to remain with me and that, later on, I would have the models at my free disposal.

"Under the supervision of Conny de Fries, in a studio near my home, the work began on the technically difficult chair prototype which I had designed for the ruling Harkonnen. Dino Zerbini and Bettina Roost worked with Conny on the modeling and the polyster cast and Bruno Reithaar, a dental technician, did the complex stenciling for the inset foam rubber seat.

"Still prior to signing he contract I had already completed two new Dune paintings, when I received the news from Ridley Scott that Dino had handed the film over to his daughter. What remained from the project was my own interest in the furniture, which I had financed myself. With the aid of Conny de Fries, the perfect partner fro the realization of my design, over the next few years we completed the project which evolved to include a table, mirror frame and amoire, a complete environment.

"Dune was finally realized in 1984 by director David Lynch without my participation."

When Giger heard that David Lynch was to film Dune, he writes to Lynch, sending him photos of his drawings and furniture projects. David Lynch, however, didn't want him involved in the movie, apparently feeling that Giger's style was too well know, since the success of Alien.




No comments:

Post a Comment