Saturday, March 30, 2002

Life and style / Richard Guest / "I don't read books"


Richard Guest

LIFE AND STYLE

Q&A

Richard Guest

"I don't read books"

Jockey

Rosanna Greenstreet
Saturday 30 March 2002 02.07 GMT

Richard Guest, 36, was born in Andover, Hampshire. He worked as a stable lad before becoming a jockey, and recorded his first win in 1986. Now one of the UK's most accomplished jockeys, he won the Grand National last year in the saddle of Red Marauder. He hopes to ride the same horse at this year's meeting, which takes place at Aintree from April 4-6. He lives in County Durham, and for the past three years has been assistant to the owner-trainer Norman Mason.


Richard Guest

With which historical figure do you most identify?
Lord Nelson. He didn't let a little thing like losing an eye and an arm get in the way of achieving one of the biggest triumphs in nautical history.
What has been your most embarrassing moment?
Being best man at a friend's wedding, where I totally froze.
What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Nothing.
What is your most unappealing habit?
Chewing my mouth when I'm stressed.
What is your favourite smell?
Sunday roast being cooked.
What is your favourite journey?
Home in one piece from races.
What is your favourite book?
I don't read books.
Should the royal family be scrapped?
No - I think they do a good job promoting the country.
Do you believe in capital punishment?
No, because there is room for error.
What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Danielle, my fiancee.
Which living person do you most despise?
John McCririck, because he uses his privileged position to voice his opinion in such a way that you'd think it was the only opinion.
What is your greatest regret?
Not going to see my mother while she was in a coma.
When and where were you happiest?
Living with my grandparents and family at Phantom House stables in Newmarket, aged seven.
What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
Education.
What would your motto be?
It's not how rarely you fall, it's how you get back up again once you've fallen.
What keeps you awake at night?
Worrying over horses in my care.


No comments:

Post a Comment